Tuesday, March 31, 2015


"WHAT DO YOU DEFINE BEAUTIFUL AS?"

I decided to do my  blog post on the discrimination of women and what it means to you to be beautiful. Throughout society and our culture the media has always shown women as being beautiful if they were tall, very thin, and white. With these images being shown to us everyday it almost forces us to believe that we are not beautiful unless we look like those women that are shown in the media, when in all reality that's not true at all. I had flipped through magazines and found various images of women, men, children, etc. I took images of people of different ethnicites, elderly people, and people of disabilities because there really isn't just 1 type of beautiful no matter what the media tries to portray to us.
I chose to do stereotypes of women within our culture because so many women strive and try to achieve the look of the women that are shown in ads when really they are beautiful just the way they are. People come in different shapes, sizes, and color; but there is definitely not just one definition of beautiful for all of these. I have shown an elderly couple and a family for they have lived their lives, had children, and made memories of their own.  I think that is beautiful. I have shown images of children with disabilities, and yet they have their whole life ahead of them and still seem to not have a care in the world. I think that is beautiful. I have shown women of color for our media does not put them in advertisements unless they are shown with very light skin or they are in an exotic advertisement. Women of color are just as beautiful as any other white women we see in advertisements.
I had chose this stereotype in hopes to share with all of you that there really isn't just one type of beautiful and that our media and culture shouldn't be the deciding factor on what makes YOU beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment